[TR] Electric fan for a TR4

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 29 02:49:22 MST 2009

I installed an electric fan on my TR4A 8 or nine years ago. It turned out
the best mod I ever did. I wrote an article about it at the time and sent
many copies to list members but the article disappeared from my hard disk
when I changed computers. No present member could find a copy on their
computer. Bummer!
Essentially I combed the local scrapyards for a suitable fan. This turned
out to be one salvaged from a Citroen BX. (On advice from Jacques Rouleaux).
A very strong fan which draws about 15 Amps stationary. It was encased in a
shroud which was the same width as the rad. I bolted it onto brackets I made
which were bolted onto the rad fixing brackets. There is masses of room in
front of the rad. I took away the fan and extension. Randall advised at the
time that if you did'nt spend hours revving faster than 5k there would not
be significant harmonic problems.
I braised a 22mm half nut to the back of the header tank. This is the thread
for almost all the European thermostatic switches. I eventually fitted a
switch which made at 90C and broke at I think 80C which screws into the
braised nut. It is heat insulated. Also I needed a new bolt for the
crankshaft pulley .
I do have the original wiring diagram I drew which involved a fuse, two
relays, an auto/over ride switch and amber warning light. BTW the second
relay is to stop the fan illuminating the warning light when it's being
blown round by the slipstream, which I found very irritating.
The mod has been entirely successful and increased the mpg by around 2.
If anyone would like to put the wiring diagram on a website for any lister
to download I will happily send it to them. However I expect a better
electrician than I could produce something more elegant!

Sorry to go on and on but HT mightH someone!

David Brister
1967 TR4A