[TR] Brit Money Definition

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 19:48:33 MDT 2009

----- KingsCreekTrees at aol.com wrote:
> A hundredweight (abbreviated to cwt--always lower case for some
> reason), is
>  one hundred pounds. Why that one is so complicated when all the other
> UK
> measurements are so simple, I have no idea. The use of cwt has
> dwindled to
> virtually nothing now, mostly because weight (with the exception of
> the
> weight  of human beings) is metric, so as not to mix the two different
> systems.
> I guess  a hundredweight equaling a hundred pounds was too
> complicated.
>
> Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
> Kings Creek Trees and Ornamentals
> 427 Kings Creek Road,  RR3
> Ashton, Ontario, K0A 1B0, Canada
> Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
> (http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Sorta.  From Wikipedia:
===
The hundredweight or centum weight (abbreviated cwt) is a unit of mass defined
in terms of the pound avoirdupois (lb). The Imperial and U.S. customary
definitions differ :
In Imperial units, a (long) hundredweight is defined as 112 lb, or 8 stone, or
four quarters; equivalent to 50.80234544 kg. This is so close to 50 kg that
the transition to its 50 kg metric equivalent of quintal aka centner (Zentner
in German) has been easy.
In U.S. customary units, a (short) hundredweight is defined as 100 lb;
equivalent to 45.35924 kg. This is also the normal hundredweight in Canada.
The short hundredweight is also called a cental, especially in places which
normally use the long hundredweight.
In both systems, there are twenty hundredweights to a ton: respectively, the
long ton of 2240 lbbapproximately equal to a metric tonne of 1,000 kilograms
(2,205 lb))b and the short ton of 2000 lb.
===

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L   1979 Caterham 7
1993 Suburban  1994 Miata C-package  2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
http://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums   http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier