[TR] Brit Money Definition

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Sat Oct 24 19:53:30 MDT 2009

Actually, a UK hundredweight is 112 lbs or 8 stone.  There are 20 cwt to the
ton (2,240 lbs in the UK, sometimes called the "long ton" to differentiate
it from the short ton, or 2,000 lbs, as used in the US).  When I was a
little boy in the fifties, the coalman would deliver coal in cwt bags.  The
bags were stacked vertically on the coal lorry and the coalman would lift a
bag on his shoulder, carry it through the "passage" to the back garden and
dump the coal in the coal bin.  My dad would order 20 cwt at a time (never a
ton, always 20 cwt) and my job was to count the bags as the coalman dumped
them.

By the way, back then I would be given a threepenny piece ("thruppeny bit")
every Thursday as my pocket money, for which I could buy a comic (the Dandy
or the Beano) and four blackjacks, which were licorice flavored soft candies
that sold for a farthing each.  Thursdays were pretty damn close to heaven.

Mike