[TR] Brit Money Definition

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Sat Oct 24 19:30:01 MDT 2009

A "Stone" is fourteen pounds. I think the only way it is used is to measure
 one's own weight. At the doctor's office, one might be asked "how much do
you  weigh?", to which you'd have to be ready to say something like "twelve
stone  two", meaning twelve stones, two pounds, or 170 pounds. This is still
the  exclusive system used today in the UK.

A hundredweight (abbreviated to cwt--always lower case for some reason), is
 one hundred pounds. Why that one is so complicated when all the other UK
measurements are so simple, I have no idea. The use of cwt has dwindled to
virtually nothing now, mostly because weight (with the exception of the
weight  of human beings) is metric, so as not to mix the two different systems.
I guess  a hundredweight equaling a hundred pounds was too complicated.

Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
Kings Creek Trees and Ornamentals
427 Kings Creek Road,  RR3
Ashton, Ontario, K0A 1B0, Canada
Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
(http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Proud  member of Landscape Ontario (the Ontario association of Horticulture
Industry  professionals), the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association and
Christmas Tree  Farmers of Ontario