[TR] TR3 OD Trans Problem?

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Tue Nov 10 19:45:54 MST 2009

     I've had my TR3A off the road for a month while I installed an
aftermarket heater (which works great!).  I had to relocate the relay for the
A-type overdrive to fit the heater. I moved it from the rear wall of the
battery box to the drivers side of the battery box. No big deal. I didn't even
have to disconnect the wires. Everything worked well before moving the
solenoid except that sometimes the relay wouldn't work unless I jiggled a
certain wire. I think that the relay had a weak contact inside. I fixed that
with some electrical tape so the wire always had a little strain on the relay
fitting.      Anyway, when backing out of the garage for a test drive, the car
didn't want to roll backwards and at one point I had it in reverse and nothing
happened when I revved the engine with the clutch out. My street is on a hill
and when I got to the stop sign the car didn't roll backwards when in neutral
as usual. The overdrive doesn't engage. The
 other 4 gears work fine.     The not rolling backwards thing concerns me.
Also, the trans has been rattling when I accelerate in the gears.     I am
thinking about starting with a new relay and testing the electrical.     Any
ideas?     I think that HVDA conversions are the sane way to go.
     Bill in Tehachapi