[TR] Intro & conversation starter

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 04:30:37 MST 2009

Russell Barr wrote:

> But here's the thing that I'm almost scared to admit in the
> company of purists: I'm going to drive this car in the rain,
> and probably even snow & ice too.

Russell, the snow and ice are one thing - but rain isn't an issue. During this
summer (as many other listers know) I drove a fully rebuilt Triumph Stag from
Florida to California by way of three trips into Canada and another as far
south as Dallas.
Before the car left its place of rebirth in Illinois, it won "Best of Show" at
a local club event, then went under its own power to Florida in 19 hours - and
finally to California in the 70 odd driving days that followed and with me at
the wheel for all but 20 of the intervening 15,466 miles. We had baking heat,
no air-con, phenomenal rainstorms in Indiana, snow in the Rockies and fog in
Nebraska. We avoided armadilloes and various other animals (including a moose)
and killed two rattlesnakes!
At the end of the drive at the VTR/Triumphest event, that same car went on to
win the Concours for a Stag.
What am I trying to say?
Get yourself a Triumph of any model, enjoy playing with it in your shop -
curse it as you inevitably will for whatever it does to you - but above all
DRIVE IT because you truly can drive a car for many thousands of miles and
still win prizes with it - even if you don't own it :)
Whisper whisper - you can probably do much the same in an MG, Healey or even a
Jaguar

Jonmac
(now back in the UK and catching up on some sleep)