[TR] Intro

M. Secrest moira.secrest at verizon.net
Thu Nov 5 14:45:19 MST 2009

> I've recently decided to enter the world of Triumph ownership.  What I
> really want is a TR6, and have ever since they were new, but it seems the
> cost of entry on a Spitfire is lower, making that a bit tempting as well.
> My wife thinks the Spitfire is prettier, but it's not for her and she'd
> look
> great in the passenger seat of either one. I'd be interested in the
> impressions of anybody who's familiar with both.

Cost of a Spit is definitely lower, but the resale value of even very nicely
restored Spits is not relatively as high as that of a TR6.  I had a '74 Spit
for a few years and had a lot of fun doing a rolling resto on it, but the I
needed more power and since have bumped to a '73 GT6 and a '72 TR6.  The TR6
in '72 still retains the interior look of its predecessors; the '73 TR6 has
the BL style upgrade.   I always thought the British flag emblem was cool --
but that's not much of a reason to buy a car.

I would push you in the direction of a TR6 if you have any "get up and go"
concerns about the Spit, which in my humble estimation needs significant
upgrades from stock to feed that need.  All that said, I find myself driving
my GT6 more than my open top car -- it handles better and is more convenient
when I want to go somewhere in a fun car but don't want any concerns about
rain.

--
Martin Secrest
Arlington, VA