[TR] Getting the sag out of your rear end - use a TR6 Air Lift kit

Brian Lanoway blanoway at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 5 14:17:21 MST 2009

It's been a while since I've put a post on this List and I would like to
share the success I've had with one of my TR6 modifications.

I've been bedeviled in the past by a sagging rear end on my TR6 when fully
loaded for a long trip.  With two 200# passengers, luggage, tools, a heavy
factory hardtop (sometimes) and a low Ansa exhaust, my TR6 - when loaded -
looked and handled like a boat trying to plane.

A few years ago, I heard rumours of an Air Lift kit from this List, but
details at that time were sketchy.  I've now found the right parts and am
happy to report that the Air Lifts work beautifully.  You can incrementally
adjust the air pressure between 5 and 15 PSI to accommodate the load and the
net result is the car feels, rides and handles like it has no load at all
even if it's packed to the window sills.

To do this you need these parts from Air Lift (800) 248-0892 or
www.airliftcompany.com.  You need qty 2 Air Lift bladders P/N 46143, a
length of soft <" OD hose P/N 389100, a "T" fitting for the hose and an air
valve for the end of the hose (similar to a tire air valve but barbed on the
other end).

The installation is simple. It's best to remove the rear coil springs from
the car, put them in a vise and then "screw" the pliant bladders into the
coils (there is an interference fit).  Note that the bladders increase the
spring constant by expanding radially - the ends of the bladders do not
contact anything.  Once reinstalled, you then connect everything with the
hose and fittings and tie wrap the hose to the frame.  I put the air valve
just under my rear bumper and use a cheap $15 air foot pump to inflate the
system.

To keep the bladders from rubbing and wearing against the coils, you need to
leave at least 5 PSI in the system at all times.  I've found that even when
the car is unloaded, the 5 PSI improves the handling and I now travel over
bad roads with much more confidence.  At 5 PSI, the famous TR6 rear end
squat disappears.

You might be at first dismayed by the cost of these simple parts (around
$160 in my case), but the net benefit is worth many times that.

I'm very pleased with the results, the car is much better with the Air Lifts
installed - loaded and unloaded - and I recommend it as an effective way to
get your rear end back where it belongs.

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg, Canada

PS: We thoroughly enjoyed hosting John Macartney through our distant city in
September - it was a wonderful event and John was a compelling and welcome
visitor.