[TR] Intro & conversation starter

Jim Coleman jimbyjove at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 16:40:49 MST 2009

Russell,

Welcome to the Triumph world!  We have some common interests - that is VW
busses.  I have a '79 VW Campmobile and struggle with the thoughts of ever
parting with it.  My first bus was a '69.  But, I have a stronger interest
in TRs and own 3 - a '76 TR6, a '64 TR4 and an '80 TR8.  I won't get into a
debate about which Triumph is best and I have never owned a Spitfire, but I
like those as well.  I do know enough about the Six when compared with the
Spitfire to say that it probably makes for a better highway car and is very
capable of keeping up with and exceeding much of the traffic.  There are
exceptions I know of where the Spits can be made very capable as well.

All of my cars are used on the interstate and the Four and the Six have
overdrive, and that is what I am most concerned about when I make
suggestions.  ' What do you expect to do with it' is the question you have
to ask.   All local use, long trips, autocrossing, rallying, etc, etc. ? All
Triumphs are pretty well covered insofar as availability of parts is
concerned.  Your bus carries more than 2 passengers.  The TRs carry two.
There are terrific bargains on TR6s in my opinion and perhaps even better
bargains in the Wedges (TR7, TR8).

Regardless of which Triumph you decide on, there are lots to choose from and
always get the best you can afford - no rust would be better.   Like VWs,
there is much online and community support for Triumphs and all you
generally need to do is ask.  Triumph folks are the best.

Again Welcome.

Jim Coleman

VTR SE Region

Mechanicsville, VA