[TR] [Shop-talk] Cell-phone coverage in USA and Canada for charity tour?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri May 22 10:46:43 MDT 2009

Curious, Jonmac's original post didn't show up for me.  I wonder if MJB's
ISP is still having problems?

Anyway, I agree that Verizon probably has the best coverage overall.
Certainly there are some places that they don't cover while others do (and I
think their advertisements are a bit optimistic), but they did seem to be
better overall than T-mobile (which I use now).

However, there remain significant portions of the US west where there is
simply no cell phone coverage, no matter which company or what antenna you
use.  Coverage along the Interstate highways appears to be fairly good, but
the same is not true for the old US highways and state highways.  We were
recently running around in New Mexico and Arizona (White Sands, Petrified
Forest, Canyon de Chelly, etc), where I'd say we lacked coverage more often
than we had it, sometimes even inside small towns.  And Colorado mountains
are even worse as I recall.

I've experimented a little with a small external omnidirectional antenna ...
I'd say it's helpful in areas where the coverage is marginal (eg helps hold
the connection when only one bar).  But I'm not sure it extends coverage
area enough to be worth the effort.  And those 'magic' things you stick
inside or on the back of the phone are worthless, IMO.

If you are really desperate for more range, a highly directional antenna (eg
Yagi array) with its own LNA and power amplifier is the only thing that will
really help.  But it needs to be pointed accurately at the tower you are
communicating with, which is impractical to say the least, from a moving
car.

However, a rooftop external antenna might provide enough benefit to be of
some use while driving.  Relocating the antenna outside the car is the main
benefit, but they can also be somewhat directional to the sides.
http://www.sb-systems.com/motorola-v60-cell-phone-antenna.html

If the intent is to communicate with your convoy, you might consider a
direct radio link, like the FRS walkie-talkies or the venerable Citizens
Band radios.

-- Randall