[TR] A blast from the past

Geo Hahn ahwahnee18 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 09:26:11 MDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:49 AM, John Macartney wrote:

> ...And for those listers who don't understand "us Brits"

I once heard story from a Brit visiting the US for the first time.  Arriving
at his hotel he discovered he had forgotten to bring toothpaste.  Went into
a drug store (chemist) and asked for a tube of it.  The one the clerk handed
him was marked 'Large'.

He said "Oh I'm only visiting here a short while, I just need a small tube".

The clerk said "That's it.  There's 'Large', 'Family' and 'Giant'.  Large is
the smallest we've got."

He said that phrase stuck with him as he travelled our country -- "Large is
the smallest we've got".

Certainly most of the US cars of the 50s were designed with that thought.