[TR] A blast from the past

dave1massey at cs.com dave1massey at cs.com
Thu May 21 05:57:42 MDT 2009

I was not in America in the 1950's 60's or 70's. but I was in love with
America.
WW2 rationing continued for a little while into the 50's in England. And
the 60's where still recovery years with union strife and a struggle to make
ends meet. but a fine country.
The 50's in America especially seemed so wonderful, peace, great cars,
every one was middle class, smiled a lot, and lived well.
Hollywood, hot rods, great big winged cars, drive in's all led to my
addiction. Especially for a kid from the slums of Liverpool.
and after 15 years of trying I finally won my visa in a lottery.
Its not the 50's any more. I missed that, I got here too late. but I still
found a great place in southern California, and my new country has been
wonderfully kind, gracious and allowed me some limited prosperity.
you are a strange bunch at times, but so much like us English, that i cant
help but love you all

Aw, shucks.? (blush)

I think a common language helps.? That and the historical ties and also the fact that Brits have been emigrating to the US pretty much ever since the revolution.? But when you consider that immigrants are a self-select group of motivated individuals this has been a good thing for the US.

Welcome and glad you like it here.

Dave