[TR] clutch hydraulics query

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Mar 26 12:36:32 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/26/2009 2:18:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
jimmuller at rcn.com writes:
> I'd suspect a sticky slave cylinder except that this morning it seemed to
> have come on when I wasn't using the clutch at all.  At least not that I
> recall.  Okay, maybe once.  An alternate stickiness factor could be the clutch arm
> scraping against the tunnel cover.  I can check it but it's one of those
> space-age plastic covers with no dangling insulation underneath, so I doubt this
> possibility.  It really seems to correlate to heat.
>
> So the question:  Is there evidence to suggest that brake fluif expands
> noticeably with moderate heat?  (It isn't getting especially hot.)  Perhaps older
> fluif that might have absorbed water sitting even in an opened once but
> tightly sealed container?

I suspect the master cylinder.  Perhaps it is as Joe says and the piston is
not returning completely.  Or the little cup on the spring on the end that
opens the port to the reservoir allowing the excess fluif to return as things heat
up became detached from the piston.

Cheers

Dave