[TR] [Spits] clutch hydraulics query

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 26 14:33:01 MST 2009

---- Joe Curry <spitlist at cox.net> wrote:
> I had this problem with the front brake cylinder on Tiny Tim after I
> installed the Tilton balance bar.  What was happening was the piston was not
> being allowed to come far enough forward to relieve the pressure in the
> line. As a result, after a few cycles of braking, the pressure would build
> up and lock the pads to the rotors.
>
> Cracking the bleed valve was enough to reset the system, but redoing the
> push rod on the master cylinder was required to fix the problem.

Yes, exactly.  I've heard similar complaints, and causes, from others.

If you are sure that the pedal/pushrod is not holding the MC piston slightly depressed (which could be as simple as a missing return spring on the pedal or a slightly too stiff pivot); then the next place to look would be the return spring inside the MC (which has been known to break on occasion, mine came out in 4 pieces); and the link between the MC piston and the foot valve inside the MC.  There are different styles of links, and I'm not sure which would be found on a GT6.  But there are several ways for it to go wrong and not pull the foot valve open when the MC piston is fully out.

Even dry brake fluid will expand with heat enough to be a problem, if the foot valve remains closed.

Randall