[TR] Radio Constant Power Source

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Mar 25 15:54:34 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/25/2009 5:41:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> Dave Massey wrote:
>
> >Since you have a 74 you have the power tap on the battery cable.  There
> >are
> >three brown wires attached to it leaving one tab available four your
> >radio.
>
> My memory is fuzzy, but isn't at least one of those tabs 1/4" instead of
> 3/8"?  If so, you can find a "splitter" at any store that carries car
> stereos to allow another wire to be attached.

I never noticed any of them being any different from the other three.  If
there was one that was 1.4 inch I would have thought they would use that one for
the alternator sense wire but it is a 3/8's too.

> >But you will need a 3/8 QC push on connector which are kind of hard to
> >find.
>
> True, but they can be found. Here's one source:
> http://tinyurl.com/c8u5n8

I did say kind of.  But they are not as readily available as the 1/4 kind
which can be had at most any hardware store, Radio Shack and Wal Mart.  In some
places you can buy just one.  I'll have to check the connector kit I got from
Horrible Freight, it might have on.

> >Be sure and fuse it with the manufacturer's recommended fuse.
>
> And preferably as close to where you tap power as possible.  The wire up to
> that fuse is totally unprotected, so if it shorts you WILL have an
> electrical meltdown and possibly fire.

Which is true of all the brown wires.  But then, I don't know I would design
a harness with unfused runs like this.

Dave