[TR] TR4 wiring ignition

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 19:43:33 MST 2009

> My original ignition switch went
> missing. The replacement switch from eBay has me confused.
> The switch has Three terminals, one single prong and Two
> double prongs.  My question is:
> which wires go where?  The terminals are numbered 1(single
> prong),2&3, if that helps. Do I even have the correct switch?

It likely is the wrong switch (my diagram shows 4 terminals) but chances are
that you can use it if you don't care about the original "accessory"
position.

First some simple tests.  You'll need some way of checking continuity which
can be a DMM, ohmmeter, powered test light or even an unpowered light plus
your car battery.  Turn it off and check that there is no continuity between
any of the three terminals.  Turn it on and find the two terminals that have
continuity (most likely 1 & 2).  Then hold it in the start position and
check for continuity between all the terminals.

If that works, connect the brown/blue wire to terminal 1.  White wire and
(light) green go to terminal 2 (assuming 1 & 2 had continuity in the 'on'
position).  White/red goes to terminal 3 (the one that was open in the 'on'
position).

>  My next question is about the voltage stabilizer, but I'll
> save that for later (something about  polarity).

The original stabilizer doesn't care about battery polarity, but the solid
state aftermarket replacements will generally only work if you convert to
negative ground.  Hopefully they are protected against reverse polarity, but
I wouldn't want to bet on it <G>

Randall