[TR] Leaf Spring Front Attachment Pins

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Mar 10 06:37:44 MST 2009

> And, as predicted by those well versed in the
> art, the front attachment pins for the rear leaf springs are
> rusted solid in the frame.  Suggestions, please, on how to
> remove them.  What's worked for you?  Heat, gear puller,
> hydraulics, drill them out (ugh!) ?

Mine came out using a jury-rigged puller that engaged with the threaded hole
in the pin.  But that was a California car, and a long time ago, so YMMV.

I would probably put a puller on both of them (threaded rod, length of pipe,
etc.) and pull it down good and tight (but not quite tight enough to break
<G>); then leave it that way while occasionally dosing them with PB Blaster
and banging on the other end with a BFH (to theoretically cause vibration to
help the PBB penetrate).  Wouldn't hurt to heat the pin good and hot then
cool it with candle wax or PBB either.

But I'm pretty sure that eventually I'd get frustrated and start drilling.
More force won't be the answer, because you'll wind up just pulling the tube
out of the frame and having to repair that.  (Which may be where you wind up
anyway.)

Or, just leave well enough alone; and resign yourself to lifting the body if
you need to replace the springs in the future.

Randall