[TR] skinny windshield? FOLLOWUP

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 14 21:37:55 MDT 2009

The bottom part of this email contains a copy of the response I got back
recently when I wrote the co. I bought the new, but thinner windshield from.
Since I bought the w/s from him several years ago, I can understand his
HESITATIONS.  If I had to do it again, I'd proably go with one of the 'big
three'.
A w/s from one of the big three is not much different  in  cost, AND proably
is thicker although I don't think the big three carry tinted
windshields...right? (which looks cool, a FT says is useful).
            I went to a local glass shop and he provided me with a wider
glazing...but it still was for the thicker w/s.
    What I did was to add two different type of black tape which (when added
togather totaled slightly more than 1/16".)  So far it looks okay, however,
I think I dislike the lack of sturdiness which the original windshield had.
I don't think my going from 1/4" to 3/16" is a favorable thing, but, still I
press on.
    Someone said that Vicky Brit use to have a thicker glazing then TRF or
Moss.  Also the new tinted w/s is laminated properly, and is tempered as
req. by law... it's just thinner!
      Paul
Paul:
We have never had an issue with any of the FYG Brand not fitting properly.
Have sold over 50 of these in the past 5 years. All the glass nowadays is
3/16" thickness, only the OEM was 1/4 inch. I can get the Triplex made in UK
ones but they are more than double the price..

There are windshields made for the aftermarket that have been made too thick
which will not fit in the frame properly but most glass today is thinner for
cost reasons and lighter for weight reasons.
I would think this fits well in there with 1/16th inch tolerance in these
frames
Richard

ProSource Glass International
Toll Free:877-345-2800