[TR] valve spring removal

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 13:03:45 MDT 2009

> My next question is in regard to the valve springs themselves.  They
> look okay,
> but how can you tell if they need to be replaced?

Only way to be certain is check how much force it takes to compress them to
installed length.  One way to do this is with a bathroom scale, a drill
press and a ruler (if you happen to have those things available and trust
your bathroom scale to be accurate).  Or the shop doing the head should have
the equipment handy.

Or, just replace them.  They get tired with age even if the engine hasn't
been run.

PS, I assume you know that the triple springs belong on the exhaust along
with the pedestals; and that most replacement sets only have two springs per
valve.

-- Randall