[TR] Rear crankcase oil seal

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Fri Jul 10 08:19:36 MDT 2009

I think I posted this once, but the message may
have been too long and didn't make it to the whole list.
http://www.tonydrews.com/uncle_jacks_engine_building_tips.htm

 From item #1 on the Crank section of uncle jack's engine building tips:
"If you are going to install the aftermarket rear
seal, have the seal surface of the crank turned
to 2.525  whatever the current instructions may
say. These seals are leaky and they need all the
help they can get. The lip tension is too low.
Therefore, measure the length of the spring and
alter it to be exactly 8  long."

Additionally, my crank has this diameter turned
undersized.  Arrgh!  It's a very expensive Crower
billet crank, so I'm not going to get another
one.  This time around, I very carefully sliced a
little off of one end of the split portion of the
seal in addition to shortening the spring.  First
time I've got one to not leak at the rear
main.  I also ended up getting the rear main felt
stuff separately from Moss - the stuff in the
kits was not large enough in cross section.   I
cut those into 1" or less sections, dip in Indian
Head Shellac, and mash into the groove / hole.  I
use a screwdriver to mash them in but Tim Murphy
made a punch that was actually shaped like the hole - showoff.  :)

- Tony