[TR] TR4 fuel issue

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 8 15:45:57 MDT 2009

Mike,

My first suggestion would be to make sure it is really a fuel delivery
problem.  The old saying about "90% of all fuel problems are electrical" has
a certain amount of truth in it.

Harbor Freight has recently started carrying a test gauge that will read
fuel pressure.  I'd suggest you pick one up as it's handy for other things
as well.  'Tee' the gauge into the fuel line at the front carb with a long
enough hose that you can bring it out and prop it under a wiper blade for a
test run.

If it was a fuel problem, I would expect you to be able to continue up the
hill at a reduced speed.  The power required (and hence fuel burned) depends
greatly on how fast you are going, so if it is getting enough fuel to run 70
mph on the flat, it should still have enough to do 35 up a grade.

I'd also be tempted to switch back to points temporarily and see what effect
that has.  The Pertronix puts electronics (which are heat sensitive) inside
the distributor, where it definitely gets hotter going uphill.

-- Randall