[TR] It might be possible, but....

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 11:30:02 MST 2009

Thanks for the reply, Ed.

> It was initially a bit of a
> struggle to clear the lower bracket.

Yeah, that sounds familiar.  ISTR I went in from underneath with a
screwdriver and pried the steering box bracket out of the frame bracket.
But I believe that would be the same without the apron, at least that's what
I did on TS13571L as well.

>  Also found it necessary to remove the
> coil and disconnect the fuel line at the pump to allow additional swing of
> upper end of the lower shaft.

On my car the inlet to the pump goes under the steering column, while the
outlet runs over very close to the engine block before it goes up past the
column.  Is yours routed differently?

And by the time the engine was jacked over far enough to allow the column to
clear between the front plate and upper steering bracket; the coil was
nowhere close.  But my coil is not original, so perhaps that was the
difference.

>  Once that was cleared the box would not
> clear between the radiator and the sheet metal of the inner fender.

Hmm.  I'll have to take a look at that.  ISTR that, on my car, the box
itself is mounted behind the radiator, so didn't need to go through that
gap.  And since the radiator is on one side of the frame bracket; and the
inner fender is on the other side, the gap between radiator and inner fender
is wider than the bracket.  In any case, I did not force anything
(especially a radiator!).

> We were
> unable to get completely past as then the drop arm was bumping up against
> the motor mount ( remember that at this point the left side of the engine
> is jacked).

Again, I don't recall that being a problem.  By then, I had the column swung
up so the drop arm could come up over the motor mount & front plate.  That
was why the horn had to come loose, so the box could come through the space
where the horn was normally.

> BTW we did not remove the grill. Didn't seem necessary.

How did you get to the bolts that hold the apron 'shelf' to the inner
fenders?  It's been awhile, but I don't recall any other way to get in there
on my car.  In addition, I didn't have the bumper uprights installed, so I
also had to remove the two bolts where the uprights normally hold the
cardboard deflector to the inner fender.

Anyway, I'm very sorry it didn't work out for you.  I'll have to revisit the
subject when I disassemble TS39781L; and maybe take a few pictures this
time.

Wish I knew some way to keep my digital camera from turning itself off.
Seems like it always powers off between shots, which means I have to flip
the power switch off and on, wait for it to wake up, then push three
different buttons to take the next shot.

Randall