[TR] emission standards?

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 29 08:26:04 MST 2009

Bob Danielson wrote:
> As we looked at areas to retire to (think warmer climate) I also checked the
> various state's DMV rules with regard to registering classic cars. My car
> came with emissions equipment which is now long gone but the irony is that
> my car runs cleaner with TBI then it ever did with the stock emissions
> stuff.....I actually had it tested last year. What I found is that the half
> dozen southeastern states that I looked at are all over the place on
> registering classic cars and emissions. One state even varied by county.
> Some states require no testing for cars over "X" years of age, with "X"
> being a variable based on state. Some states required that the original
> emissions stuff be on the car even though they don't test emissions on old
> cars. So not only don't we have a Historic Vehicle Club to lobby for us but
> we don't even have consistent standards across the states.

Hmm, brings a new dimension to the old saying of "things are often not what they seem."
I tell you what, I always think that when you've got a problem, it's best to *go to the top.*
Politics entirely to one side, do you think it would be a good idea for me to drop a friendly note
to Mr. Obama? Perhaps with my Standard-Triumph background and knowledge of how we deal with things
this side o't pond, I could give him a few things to think about and to clarify likely problems and
possible dissenters? He seems, by all accounts, to be an approachable sort of fellow and as he's
already outlined a fairly comprehensive list of *things to do* perhaps a Federal harmonisation of
emission standards for all old British cars would be a good idea?
Once I've done a quick tour of the Estate tonight, ensured the Grooms have dealt with the horses and
dismissed my Butler for the evening, I'll give it some thought......