[TR] 1971 TR6 Cooling

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 17 17:19:33 MST 2009

Robert
It's not at all unusual for Triumph engines to run hotter than others - even in the same model spec.
I drove many of them when new-ish in temperatures you mention and some ran hotter or cooler than
others.
This issue was a perennial problem in Coventry and many engineers wanted the six cylinder unit
lengthened to delete the siamese between cylinders 3 and 4 and for larger coolant galleries.
Engineering vetoed it many times on the grounds of cost, added weight and added length. From memory,
this move would have made the block about 3 inches longer.
As Andy Mace suggested, check the actual temperature of the coolant when the 'stat opens. Other
reasons discovered long ago by thousands of service departments can be small manufacturing variances
in the wiring inside the gauge or higher/lower resistances in the voltage stabiliser. I've known
cars give a different (lower) reading by simply swapping gauges and/or stabilisers and doing nothing
else. Sad fact is the temperature gauge itself never was of the highest quality and that's why I
prefer instruments with capillary tubes and specific readings on the dial face. Even then, those are
mass-produced as well, so cannot be depended on to give the degree of accuracy many of us would
like. Of course, if you're really hot, you can always use the heater blower as an additional cooling
medium :)

Jonmac