[TR] [6pack] Crimping Bullet connectors

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 16:02:01 MST 2009

> An
> electrician gave me what he said is a  "proper" crimping tool and it makes
> a crimp that
> looks just like what Bob has  posted.  I thought the things were lineman's
> pliers.  Maybe not.

I think it's safe to say that anything producing a crimp similar to the one
Bob showed is not a pair of linesman's pliers.
http://store.eldoradotoolsales.com/vis-2078208.html

>   I have crimped a connection and then clamped it in
> the vice
> to do a little  destructive testing.  It held very well.

There is more to an electrical connection than just physical holding power.
It has to not only make a gas-tight joint to the copper (since copper
exposed to air eventually forms copper oxide, a semi-conductor), but hold
that joint through time, heat cycles and vibration.

The advantage of solder is that it creates a huge area of gas-tight contact,
compared to the relatively small points created in a crimp to stranded wire.

Randall