[TR] Tire/Tube Q.

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 14:15:23 MST 2009

 Potentially interesting reading on the subject:

<http://www.classiccar.com/articles/content/index.php?/archives/21-A-Tale-of-Two-Tires.html>

<http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html>

And for whatever it's worth, I looked at stacks of Herald and Spitfire rims, all of which originally had tubeless tires, and none has any special additional 'channel' for the bead, although I think most modern rims nowadays do (didn't have a bare one handy to check).

And completely on-topic: I ran my '60 TR3A for several years on "oversize" 6.85 x 15 bias-ply (Volvo wagon size) tubeless tires...because there were two good ones on the car when I bought it, and I was able to obtain two matching tires (Dunlop, of course!) to complete the set. This was back in 1972; I didn't have $200 for a set of five Michelin "X" radials at the time, college being what it was and all.... ;-) (Besides, I'd only paid $125 for the car!)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us