[TR] Tire/Tube Q.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 13:08:54 MST 2009

>    I can give you a counter-example involving a '65 VW Bug hitting a small
> pothole in the middle of a hard left-hand turn.  Big "POP!" and the right
> rear tire was loose on its rim.

That's interesting, Nick, thanks.

OTOH, what are the chances that the same incident would have pinched the
tube and caused a blowout?  Or have pushed the tire past the safety bead?

Having suffered several blowouts myself (all with tubed tires) I still
believe that running tubes is more dangerous than tubeless tires on rims
without the safety beads.  Not that either one is all that likely IMO ... on
average 90 people die every year in the US from being hit by lightning.

> the major manufacturers have really given up on us.  This means we're
> stuck with low-volume producers

Well, I guess, if you consider $1 billon/year to be low volume (Vredestein).
Certainly not the same class as Michelin or Bridgestone, but not exactly
Joe's Garage & Screen Door company either.  And while not exactly as
scientific as the Tire Rack tests, there are numerous consumer reviews to be
found.  Eg,
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124441
"... we were surprised at how well the 16-inch Vredestein Sprint Classic
tires held on."

>   because there is HUGE
> variation in traction and performance between different tire models, even
> from the same reputable manufacturer.

Indeed, that is very true.  And is exactly why I started down the path of
fitting wider, low profile tires to my TR3A, because high performance tires
were simply not available in tall, skinny profiles.  This has been true for
upwards of 30 years, it's not a recent thing.  Something about the laws of
physics ...

>    I wonder if it would help if a bunch of different classic car groups
> teamed up as a united front to lobby Michelin for a decent, modern 165R15?

I would say "no".  Michelin has already made it clear that they are not
interested in even producing such low volumes, by selling the rights and so
on to Coker to make vintage tires.  And I can't say I blame them; developing
a tire, particularly a high performance tire, is a tedious, expensive
process.  You have to sell a whole bunch of tires to cover just the
non-recurring costs.

Plus I would say that the Michelin XAS and XZX qualify reasonably well as
"decent, modern tires" even though they are not particularly high
performance by today's standard.  I feel confident that Coker will continue
to offer these models in 165-15 as long as there continues to be a market
for them.

There is also the argument that our cars in stock form are unable to take
advantage of better handling tires.  If you are going to modify the car for
better handling, then fitting lower profile tires makes sense.  Those who
want to keep their cars as original as possible are also going to get
handling that is as original as possible.

Randall