[TR] welding question

davgil at aol.com davgil at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 16:02:53 MST 2009

As a very inexperienced welder, I have a question to pose to the talent on the lists.? I am welding a fitting for a trailer jack to a plate that I purchased that will attached to the trailer.? I purchased a set of plates and hangers from Northern Tools.? The kit is actually to attach springs to a trailer, but the plate and U-bolts fit my needs perfectly.? The plate is listed as zinc on the package, but has more of a cadmium appearance to it.? It is very smooth.? Do I need to grind this coating (which is clearly not hot dipped zinc) off of the plate before welding, or simply have at it and don't worry about the coating.? I anticipate repainting the entire assembly with an epoxy paint after welding.? I will be using a stick welder.? Thanks for the advice.
David Gill
1976 TR6