[TR] Painting a car

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 10:08:52 MST 2009

In a message dated 1/8/2009 9:02:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ccsimonsen at gmail.com writes:

I  painted my TR4 with good old acrylic enamel over 10 years ago.  I did  all
the bodywork and spent a long time on prep.

Since it was  intended to be a driver - basically a 10 footer,  I decided I'd
paint  it myself.  It turned out really well and the paint looks good  even
today. -  One thing I think I did right - I made a clear plastic  tent in the
garage around the car and lit the tent from outside the tent -  bugs
gravitated to the light vs the car -  and am not sure if the bug  problem was
helped by painting at night.

It was also summer in  Virginia so the garage was over 90 degrees that night
- sweat drops were a  problem but the paint flowed very well - better than  I
expected...

For the TR2  - I'm sure I'll do most of the body  work but will leave the
final prep and painting to the  pros...

chris

Here's my experience:

1. I totally prepped my TR3. I stripped it to bare steel and had red oxide
primer on it. I did all body work. I paid a shop (15 years ago) $200 labor
plus paint ($50) andit came out ok.

2. Our TR Club had a couple of guys years ago who prepped the car   (removed
all chrome) andpaid MAACO to paint it with enough paint that they could  color
sand and buff.

3. I wanted my Stag to be a real show car. I stripped all the paint, did  the
body work and began blocking it. I had an agreement with a shop to paint  it
for me for $1000 including color sand and buff (10 years ago). I asked  that
shop to "grade my paper" and inspect the car for me before painting. I  drove
the car up sebveal times and blocked it many more times, but they were  always
pointing out ripples to me. I finally paid them an extra $1000 to  finish it
up.

Mike Moore
Engineering  Manager
CL Moore & Associates, Inc.