[TR] welding question

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 17:39:12 MST 2009

Hi David,

New list member here. I do TIG, MIG, gas welding, brazing and
soldering.Previous comments about grinding the coating to prevent
breathing toxic fumes are right on target. Of particular concern is
galvanizing and cadmium plating, but zinc and other coatings are a
hazard as well.

Another issue is that although the coating is electrically conductive,
and you could therefore weld to/through it (particularly with stick on
high amperage), you will get compromised weld integrity from
contamination as the coating blends with the weld.

I suggest you follow the other suggestions and grind coating off first,
then weld. If you want the cleanest weld, use a fresh flap disk to avoid
contaminating with other metals/materials, then chemically clean the
surfaces you'll be welding to, as well as the part. Test your welder
settings on a similar-thickness piece of steel (called a voucher), and
when ready, tack the work piece into position before welding. Take your
time, and it will be fun.

Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
1974 TR6
and God Forbid - 1971 Lotus Elan, 1974 Alfa GTV