[TR] Steering box rebuild om 3A

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 17:41:41 MST 2009

There are two areas of adjustment you pay attention to.  One is the
adjustment of the pressure on the top of the rocker shaft which is done by the  screw
on top of the cover with jam nut.  That is a matter of gentle  adjustment.
The other is the end float in the worm inside the box and that  is a matter of
removing the box, maybe replacing bearings and races and shimming  the cover to
get '0' end float.  This is a shipwrights issue because  while you are doing
this, I highly recommend replacing the silentblocs with the  Delrin bushes in
the steering gear AND be sure to check out the idler as to  play.
If your problem is leaking and it is coming from the bottom of the rocker
shaft you have a seal to replace.  If it is leaking from the "nut and  olive"
(lets not start that again) that is a different issue.
Be warned that once you get in there you may find a worn rocker shaft and
chipped worm and that is about $400 in new parts, as I recall.  Randall is  far
better versed in this exercise, but this is what I found when I did  mine.
BTW it is not as precise as rack and pinion but it steers unbelievably well
now.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO