[TR] Spark plug torque

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 12:40:22 MST 2009

Hey Guys,
How many of you torque your spark plugs to the specified 20 ft. lbs?   Before
today I have to admit that I never have done that.  Since the age of  14 or
so I have always used the grunt torque method for this task.  Age has  now
weakened my grunt too no doubt.

Today whilst installing a fresh set of Bosch  Platinum Plus plugs in  the TR6
I noticed a diagram on the box that showed a wrench that indicated  21 ft
lbs. torque. OK so I got my Snap On out and set it at 21.   Whoa, that's tight.
Drop back five and punt dude before you screw it  up!  That's way tight for my
grunt.  But dang right there in the  official Triumph TR6 Repair Operations
Manual is a setting for 20 ft  lbs. for spark plug attachment. I guess that's
right?

Do you suppose this is why all my Triumphs seem to have lean running
decease?  No way, this can't be that important. I for sure have never  tightened
plugs this tight. Also since I am always fooling around, I am  sure that I am
crushing that compression washer several times that should only  be crushed once,
correct? Old wives tale?

Cheers,
Darrell

**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.