[TR] PERTRONIX ASSUMPTION?

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 22 12:24:16 MST 2009

iT'S nice outdoors and I will take advantage of the weather to install my used
POSITIVE GROUND PERTRONIX ELECTRONIC IGNITION.  I bought this on Ebay from a
fellow listee and I am sure it is a good unit. (He had just converted his
ignition from + ground to - ground and no longer needed this unit).  In fact,
one day in the FUTURE I wish to also make this conversion, AND SO I also have
a BRAND NEW         UNINSTALLED NEGATIVE GROUND PERTRONIX IGNITOR which I
ordered from JEGS.

I have a head injury and my hands shake, so, setting points correctly is very
difficult (also I barely know what I'm doing).  I wish to go ahead and install
the Ebay Positive Ground Pertronix to overcome this.

I have thoroughly compared both + and - units and found the ONLY DIFFERENCE
between them is the little electronic module with the 2 wires coming out of it
(this makes sense!).  However, the only set of instructions I have are for a
NEGATIVE GROUND UNIT AND THUS ARE KINDA 'WRONG'.    Specifically, the
DIFFERENCE IS THE  NEGATIVE GROUND MODULE HAS BOTH A RED AND A BLACK WIRE
coming out of it, while the POSITIVE GROUND UNIT HAS BOTH TWO BLACK WIRES.

Those Wrong instructions say "first hook up the red wire to the positive side
of the coil", but HARK!!!
I have no red wire.  However, by closely  comparing both + and - ground
modules, I see that the red wire exits the module UNDER the black wire and
therefore the  red wire is also closest to the mounting metal on this little
module.      THEREFORE, I AM MAKING AN ASSUMPTION TO USE THE BOTTOM BLACK WIRE
ON THE TWO-BLACK-WIRE- UNIT (which is Pos. Ground) as "supposedly red" and
hook it to the pos. side of the coil (as per the wrong instructions).
Hopefully, this will not 'fry' the unit.  If someone knows this to be wrong
please tell me quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although this email sounds confusing, but anyone would follow this method!  I
am 99% sure!

Thanks,  Paul Dorsey  sUNDAY AT TWO O'CLOCK