[TR] transmission rebuild

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 17:19:46 MST 2009

Darcy,
I tackled a tr-6 transmission rebuild out of part ignorance adn part
niavety.LOL  I purchased the roadster factory kit of usual wear items and
followed the workshop manual to a T.  This rebuild was probably one of the
most frustrating things I've done but also when done the most rewarding.  It's
one of those jobs that you SWEAR you need 3 extra hands to keep all parts in
order.

Assembly was a bitch initially because of the close tolerances of
the two shafts that go through the casing.....and also through the
gears,synchro's ect.  Matter of fact if i remember right the gears as well as
thrust washers in the lower area of the transmission all lay in there
loose.......as you shove the shaft through the casing adn through the
gears..........this is rather blind because you already have to have the upper
shaft and gears installed which covers up the lower gears.  unbelievably it
did work.

its a job that took patience and many many trial fits while trying
to keep all the parts in correct order.  I'm surprised i got it done.  I'm not
at all guaranteeing my work even to myself!LOL  The transmission does work and
has over 300 miles on it although sometimes a glitch from 2nd to 3rd.

not
sure i'd do it again. lol

gary n.