[TR] great drives

tom white tswhitez123 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 07:38:18 MST 2009

Another great drive in Maui is taking the old road from the other side of the
island from the Hana road.  Most rental cars advise or forbid doing this but I
never got caught.  The locals I encountered along this road were very
friendly.

The road itself when I last traveled it is a dirt one lane road.  It is in
pretty good condition for a dirt road.  It isn't nearly as windy as the Hana
route and the views are tremendous.  Along the way I stopped at a small chapel
over looking the ocean.  There was a single grave stone in the chapel yard.
The inscription read "John Lindberg".  Sure enough America's most famous
aviator is buried there.  There is also a small country store where you can
stop for refreshments.  The road joins the paved road to Hana at the ranger
station.

Another nice drive for experience with the native population is the west, I
think, side of the island.  All the rental cars forbid taking their vehicles
there.  So I rented a Harley from Island Riders and took my 10 year old son on
the ride.  The locals were all friendly.  You get some great views and the
experience of seeing how real Hawaiians live.

Best regards,

Tom