[TR] TR3 Bulkhead Sealers

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 11:54:14 MST 2009

Today in plus-40 F. weather, did a bit of work on the (garaged) TR3.B
Whooo!B

Replaced my defective Overdrive switch (thank you, TeriAnn and Randall).

Needles were slow settling, so took off the carb reservoirs, wiped everything
clean, checked for smoothness up and down in the needle seat, and cured that
itsy-bitsy problem.

Fed the leather and naugehyde.

Then turned my attention to installing the new rubber TRF bulkhead sealers,
side and top.B  First, I can't find a picture anywhere how these are supposed
to go.B  While it may seem intuitive, I can't find the way to position these
to give a full seal.B  Likely the body panels are off measure.B  Also dug and
vacuumed a ton of crud (I have a 300 yard gravel/sand driveway) from the
bottom of the fenderwell, deposited over the past three or four years.B
Because this is the crud that gets damp and causes lower fender rot, I'd like
to keep it out as much as possible henceforth.

So, question.B  Are these rubber bulkhead sealers meant to completely seal the
crud out?B  Or is there another way to seal the fender well.B  I was sort of
wondering about that spray in foam house insulation that expands like crazy.B
But then, of course, I'd have it to deal with when I take the fender off
(hopefully in many years).

Or do I somehow plug the draft in the cockpit, and remember to wash the wheel
well with a powerwasher when I do the wire wheels, and keep the 3-M rubberized
undercoating paint freshened?

Terry Smith, TR3A (TS 58667)B B B

New Hampshire