[TR] Front license plates

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 10:19:38 MST 2009

> Did the law change??

I believe it did.  Check out
http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_11577161?source=most_emailed

In addition, I believe it has always been up to the discretion of the
officer as to whether you get just a "fix-it" ticket, or a violation
(carrying a larger fine) for driving an improper vehicle or whatever.  With
many cities looking to automatic cameras to supplement their income, they
have jacked up the fines for anything that would tend to defeat the cameras.

Section 5200 of the CA vehicle code gives the requirement for a front plate,
but doesn't prescribe (or limit) penalties.  And there is no exception
mentioned for antique cars, etc. except if the DMV only issued one plate.
When I recently registered my 57 TR3, they insisted I have (and use) both
plates.

Randall