[TR] Front license plates

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Fri Feb 6 12:59:03 MST 2009

> Normally its considered an equipment violation, like a tail light out - can
> you give me the VC violation that is on the ticket?  Id like to look it up
> - can't believe that the city has different laws than the state...

It's not the city.  As pointed out already, California Vehicle Code 5200:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd3c1a9.htm
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5200.htm

So, according to the VC, since I've been issued two plates, I
evidently need to display two plates.  Bah.

This brings up the question of "grandfathering" that I brought
up before.  I don't believe we need, for example, seatbelts,
but I couldn't find the actual VC that allows for this
(CVC 27315k only discusses the *manufacture* of newer vehicles).

And, near as I can tell, the ticket is *not* a fix-it ticket, it's
a regular SFPD notice of parking violation with a fine of $100.

Maybe this is monetarily influenced.  I have never needed a front
plate, but it looks like I need to start looking into figuring
out how to attach one unless someone can come up with a good
legal argument otherwise.

Dave