[TR] TR3A timing chain lower gear

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 5 09:43:51 MST 2009

> (replacing the crank)

If the remainder of the crank is in good shape (or just needs a regrind), it
may be more cost-effective to get it repaired.  What they do is lay a weld
bead over the area to build it up, and then grind it back to size (just like
grinding a journal except on-center).  ISTR I was quoted $20, 'back when'.

> Next question is should I do anything about the nagging play in the
> steering box while every thing's exposed....  hmmm......  ;)

Rebuilding the box on TS39781LO was certainly one of those "Why the *$%
didn't I do this sooner!" experiences.  But of course you have to beware the
dread shipwright's disease!

Randall