[TR] LBC?

spook01 spook01 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 14:06:40 MDT 2009

you have to amortize the incredibly high cost of electrics to buy, add what
it costs to run (new batteries, etc.)  and balance that with the cost of
running a car you already own.
add to that the fact that a new car pollutes more as it is being made, than
it does the rest of its' life (petro cars, not electrics - they are worse
because of battery pollution) and it appears that petroleum is still the
most energy dense form of transport.
newer cars produce almost nothing but co2 and water, electric cars merely
have a longer tailpipe (electric plants).
electrics (I have driven some) are OK to go to work and back, then plug in
...BUT they are useless as transport for longer distances.  the advertised
200-odd miles of operation are figured at a optimal (low) speed.  reality is
that it is much less.  creature comfort isn't too good, either.
all in all, that makes a trip from, say, LA to the Santa Ynez valley for a
little wine tour about a four day trudge instead of a one day fun ride.
Best,
Ray