[TR] TR2/3 front suspension questions.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 13 21:40:43 MDT 2009

> A couple of questions regarding my front suspension re-build. Have
> installed new upper ball joints (TRF) and can still see some of the
> splines on the ball joint shaft protruding from the upper control
> arms. Is this usual?

No, but it happens.  You didn't seat the splines into the grooves already
cut in the arms, and they haven't cut new ones.  I'm not sure why it's a
problem, but I have seen it before.

> Will the
> protruding splines (1/4") affect front end geometry significantly?

I wouldn't be as worried about the geometry, as what happens if the splines
do eventually cut the grooves.

> For the rest of the rebuild a friend suggested substituting good
> quality nylock nuts for the many castellated nuts in the front
> suspension. A good idea?

Personally, I have a lot more faith in a cotter pin than that little bit of
nylon.  I have seen even brand new Nylocs back off.  Given the choice, I
would stick with the castellated nuts.  But, the Nylocs will work, usually,
if you replace them every time.

Randall