[TR] TTA Stag on Tail of the Dragon

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Aug 2 12:18:20 MDT 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 12:09:12 pm Ann and Tim Buja wrote:
> I've just uploaded a 9:56 video of John Macartney following Ashford Little
> on the "Tail of the Dragon" to YouTube and linked it from the TTA website.
>
> My favorite part is when Ashford and John get stuck behind a motorcycle
> that can't maintain the speed being set by Ashford and you can hear John
> say at 6:10
> "Bloody motorcycles - more trouble than farm tractors!"
>
> Once the motorcycle pulls over at 7:50, their pace picks up considerably.
> John shot almost 20 minutes of this drive but YouTube has a 10 minute time
> limit and Flickr has a 90 second video time limit.
>
> Links and embedded video of this drive along with four Brits of the Hudson
> caravan videos are available at the Triumph TransAmerica website at:
> http://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk
>
> Tim Buja - Rockford, IL
Tim,

Not to be disrespectful but most stock cars, even sport cars cannot keep up
with a sport or std motorcycle on roads such as the Dragon.

I watched the video but couldn't verify the motorcycle type. I am guessing it
is one of those very heavy v-twins either a HD or a metric. They handle about
as good as a tractor!

We have many roads similar to the dragon in upstate NY and I would put either
my Triumph 98 Tbird or my 74 T140v against any of either my TR3 or TR4 anyday
and would have no trouble keeping far ahead of either car. The Tbird has
superior handling for those curves and also the power to get out of those
curves in a awful hurry. Plus with a top speed of about 140, if there is a
straight no way a Triumph in standard form could keep up.

But dont get me wrong, I drive my bikes usually to and from work only and use
the 3 and 4 for show!

Bob