[TR] TR3A valve adjustment

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 27 15:29:40 MDT 2009

> I have my dizzy body marked where the posts are in the cap.
> I  center the rotor on that mark and adjust.  I have always
> done it this  way.  My reasoning is no matter the cam
> profile, when the rotor is on the  post the valves had better
> be closed.  Please advise if you see this  differently.

"Valves closed" is another name for "base circle".  If you think of the
tappet as riding on a round shaft from where the valve closes to where it
opens, you should be able to imagine that the round shaft has some runout,
which would show up as a variation in valve lash.  .001" or .002" (which
would show up as .0015" - .003" at the valve) wouldn't hurt anything, but
would mean that you measure different lash depending on just where the cam
is turned.

However, since you are always measuring with the cam in the same place
(depending somewhat on how accurately you match the rotor to your marks),
likely this isn't the source of the variation you are seeing.  It was just a
thought.

Randall