[TR] TR3A valve adjustment

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 13:54:58 MDT 2009

In a message dated 4/27/2009 3:03:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

> I  have rebushed my rockers, replaced push rods, and replaced
> adjusters  and jam nuts.

You didn't mention refacing the rockers, or stems, or  replacing the shaft.
I did all that, I just didn't include it

> I have a BPNW 270  cam in this motor and it
>  calls for .12 int and .14 exh.

With those numbers, a certain amount of  noise is to be expected.  This is
one of the tradeoffs for  'performance' cams.

>  I started it first time and
>  drove maybe 20 miles and the valves became noisy so I waited
>  overnight and checked and they were .001 + wide.

With any worn  components at all, some variation in measurement is normal,
IMO.  For  only .001" or even .002" off, I wouldn't even bother
re-adjusting.
Wait to  see if it gets worse.

One question would be how you are positioning the  cam to check the valve
clearance.  If your reground cam doesn't have  the base circle perfectly
concentric, you may get different clearance  readings depending on just what
position the cam is turned  to.
I have my dizzy body marked where the posts are in the cap.  I  center the
rotor on that mark and adjust.  I have always done it this  way.  My
reasoning is no matter the cam profile, when the rotor is on the  post the valves
had better be closed.  Please advise if you see this  differently.
I readjusted to loose .11, tight .12 and loose .13, tight .14 to get on
the small side of recommended settings.

> I am tightening the jam nuts with a 1/2" box wrench and  not
> putting a  lot of muscle on them.
I readjusted this morning and torqued jams to 20 lbs and all seems to  be
well so far after about 75 miles.

That should be fine.  Torque should be around 12-14 ft  lbs, which isn't
much.  Were they still tight when you readjusted the  valves?
Thanks Randall

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO