[TR] figure 8 gaskets

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Wed Sep 24 07:25:29 MDT 2008

The issue with trying to machine the block is that in order to true
the top surface you have to remove too much metal.  All you really
want is a thousandth or two off of one side of the block,
but...  Then you need to shorten the liners.  Then the pistons are
too tall, so you need custom pistons.  Then the next poor sap who
takes the motor apart can't figure out why none of the new parts fit.  :)

One other thing to watch out for that I'm not sure we mentioned - the
block can crack next to the head studs.  It is possible to get this
fixed, but typically that's when we start looking for a new block too.

- Tony