[TR] figure 8 gaskets

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 23:26:29 MDT 2008

> Several members have mentioned that the protrusion is
> higher on one side of the block than the other.  How do you
> handle this?

Normally, they will both be within tolerance, so just assemble and don't
worry about it.  The stock head gasket deforms a long way as you torque down
the head nuts (which is part of the reason they must be tightened in stages)
and so can make up for some difference.

>  You can't add 1/2 of a figure of 8 gasket to
> one side to (in
> effect) tilt the liner

Not enough room in the block to tilt it that far, anyway.  They are a very
snug fit at the bottom, and fairly snug at the top.

I've not tried having the block machined to correct the condition.  Don't
see why it wouldn't work, but if Tony says it doesn't, it probably doesn't.
I've got some extra blocks, just in case <G>

Randall