[TR] Collective Wisdom

Michael Godley mgodley at tiac.net
Mon Sep 22 06:41:35 MDT 2008

Andrew.

I had a Allison/Crane unit on my 4A for almost 30 years and it work(s) fine.
That said I would have the distributor rebuilt by a professional (e.g.
Advanced Distributors- NFA) either with points or Electronic to make sure
that the vacuum advance is working properly, advance curve is optimal,
bushings are good, etc.

Yes, I switched "back to points" and the car has never run better.  I have
the Alison/Crane unit in my trunk as the backup.  This goes against the
grain of what I see as the "conventional wisdom", but I am really trying to
make the case for having the distributor rebuilt regardless of whether you
use points or not...the electronic ignition will mask some of the problems
associated with worn bushings, but won't help problems associated with a bad
vacuum advance, etc.

Cheers

Michael Godley

65TR4A