[TR] tr-3 frame inside frame rails treatment

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 16:53:26 MDT 2008

> I'm doing a frame up on tr-3. Just wondering what others have done with the
> inside frame rails. I've done POR-15 on the outside but am wondering if its
> common to also do the inside...........drilling holes ect. also what kind of
> product to use.

Hi, Gary.  Lots of answers to this question on the List, most of which are completely acceptable.  When I had everything off the frame of my TR 3A, I painted it with POR-15 as you did.  Then I bought a five quart jug of cheap oil, poured it inside existing holes, then juggled the frame until the inside was completely coated.  Let drain on cheap painter plastic sheeting.  The frame was already 45 years old and solid, so I thought anything more was overkill for a car that would never see winter again.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire