[TR] TR4 body gaps

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 16:47:20 MDT 2008

> I have been looking (for too long!) at TR4s, hoping to buy one. I have
> noticed that the gaps of the trunks are irregular, as are the rocker panels on
> many cars.  <snip>  were the gaps on these cars not great when the cars were new?

Hi, Don.  Guess the pertinent question is what you're looking for the car to do for you?  I've never been to a Triumph event yet--rats, keep planning to--but recognize the love people have of showing their cars and sipping from beer cups and restoration memories with others of like ilk.  Another version of this is having the car in a garage where it is a pleasure to just stare at like the work of art it is.

On the other hand, are you interested in driving the thing daily?  My '59 TR3A is likely not perfect, but frankly I've never looked at it for flaws that don't affect performance, because my biggest thrill is mornings driving south in the fast lane in Interstate 93 on the way to work, rippling through the breeze past the tin bubbles that pass for transportation in the modern world.

If it's driving you want, few people on the road or roadsides notice or care about micrometer differences in panel gaps.  They're simply brought to nirvana by having something original, exciting, and different to look at.  Uh, wait, that part about inspiring nirvana could be me.  But the car draws attention too....

:o)
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire