[TR] Nitrogen in Tires

mark.jones at exxonmobil.com mark.jones at exxonmobil.com
Tue Sep 2 07:18:46 MDT 2008

I did say that nitrogen is bigger than oxygen.  Maybe I should have wrote
the diameter of the oxygen molecule is just a bit smaller than the
nitrogen's (about 6% smaller) and when it comes to permeating through the
tire, the rate for nitrogen and oxygen will be about the same.

Mark

Subject: Re: [TR] Nitrogen in Tires
To: triumphs at autox.team.net

In a message dated 9/2/2008 7:48:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
mark.jones at exxonmobil.com writes:
> and the nitrogen molecule is just a bit bigger than an oxygen molecule.

Why do you say that?  The molecular weight of nitrogen is 14 whereas oxygen
is 16.  Since oxygen has a larger nuculas (the root word for "nukular") and
more electrons it sounds logical that nitrogen is actually larger.

Dave